This timely article written by Shaykh Badr Ibn Muhammad al-Badr (حفظهالله) is a compilation of important questions related to the legislative rulings of Zakaat al-Fitr which he presented to ash-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah Saalih Ibn Muhammad al-Luhaydaan (حفظهالله). This article was translated by our noble brother Abu Afnaan Muhammad Abdullah (حفظهالله).
The issues addressed are:
1. Why is Zakaat al-Fitr referred to with this name?
2. What is the amount of a Sa’a (measurement)?
3. What are the foodstuffs which are given as Zakaat?
4. Is it permissible to give the Zakaat al-Fitr as money?
5. Who is Zakaat al-Fitr given to?
6. Can the Zakaat al-Fitr be given to non-Muslims?
7. Is Zakaat al-Fitr to be paid on behalf of people who are mentally ill?
8. Is Zakaat al-Fitr given on behalf of an old person who is senile?”
9. Is it permissible to send the Zakaat al-Fitr to another country?”
10. Is it permissible for a person to give the Zakaat on behalf of his siblings who are orphans?”
11. Is Zakaat al-Fitr given on behalf of a maid?”
12. Is Zakaat al-Fitr given on behalf of a fetus?”
13. When does giving Zakaat al-Fitr become obligatory?
14. When is Zakaat al-Fitr given?
15. Is it permissible to make up Zakaat al-Fitr?
16. Is it permissible to entrust someone to pay the Zakaat al-Fitr?”
17. For an individual who works in a foreign country, does he give the Zakaat al-Fitr in his country or the other (in which he works)? Also, is it permissible to give the Zakaat on behalf of his children in the country which he works?